*March 13th, 2023: Updated for the Xbox Launch to include more relevant information as well as links to related guides.
Valheim players will spend much of their time gathering resources as they travel through map’s various biomes. From the initial collection of wood, stones and flint to nabbing the rare items dropped by defeated bosses, most items have a purpose that merits sticking them in a chest. Some important resources that Valheim players will want to keep an eye out for are the ore veins that can be mined and smelted into different metals for crafting.
Some types of ore are easier to find than others, becoming available fairly soon after the player starts up a Valheim save. Others are in remote regions, requiring good armor and decent mead potions if players hope to survive the harsh climates long enough to do the mining. These hard-to-get ore types are worth the risk, however, as they are used to make some of the best tools, armor, and best weapons in the game.
A resource, similar to ores in function, which won’t be on the list below is Black Metal. This crafting item is used to make weapons and shields, but it can only be obtained by defeating Fulings that drop Black Metal Scrap. Because the scrap can’t be mined, it isn’t technically an ore. That being said, players will want to take the time to farm and kill Fulings if they want to craft the durable Black Metal gear. Bronze is also not an ore, but it can be made by processing 2 Copper and 1 Tin in the Forge.
All Valheim Ore Types & Their Biome Locations
Below is a list of each ore type players can mine in Valheim. The ores appear in different biomes, and most require a pickaxe or iron pickaxe to knock loose.
- Copper Ore – Copper ore is found in copper deposits located in the Black Forest biome. Players will need a pickaxe to mine these veins.
- Scrap Iron – Scrap iron can be found in muddy scrap piles located in the sunken crypts of the Swamp biome. No tool is required to mine scrap iron.
- Tin Ore – Tin ore is found in tin deposits located in the Black Forest biome. Players need a pickaxe to mine this ore.
- Silver Ore – Silver ore is of a higher difficulty level. Silver deposits are found in the freezing Mountain biome and require an iron pickaxe for mining. Players will also want to dress accordingly and have mead on hand to keep from freezing to death.
- Flametal Ore – Flametal ore can be found in glowing metal piles scattered around the Ashlands biome. Players will want several iron pickaxes on hand, as this is a difficult biome, and trips will require planning.
Each of these ores can be processed either in a furnace or blast furnace to receive the corresponding metal type needed for any project. Like any crafting resource in Valheim, players will want to have extra of each ore type in storage, just in case they need to craft a replacement tool or weapon quickly. Valheim is a hardcore survival game, and the chance of death on an adventure is high, so having plenty of backup resources is never a bad idea.
Leave a Comment with Your Social Network Account